We’re extremely excited to announce the arrival of a gorgeous new sweetener to our range of organic, fair-trade and ethical superfood products. We are the first UK seller to offer Palmyra Palm Sugar (aka Palmyra Jaggery or Suga Vida) to the market and we can’t get enough of it!
So what’s all the excitement about? Well not only does it taste absolutely glorious: sweet and caramely with rich undertones of coffee and chocolate. It is also bursting with health benefits. The main difference between this and other sweeteners such as coconut palm sugar is palmyra sugar is absolutely bursting with B vitamins- that’s right a delicious sweet powder that’s full of B vitamins. And when I say bursting I really mean you can easily meet your RDA of Vitamin B6, B12 and B1 by consuming less than 1 spoon full of this heavenly nectar. It’s also rich in potassium, iron and magnesium.
So here’s a quick rundown on what it is and how to use it:
• What is it? Sap from the Palmyra Palm Tree
• Extraction Process: Collected and gently heated until liquid is evaporated
• Health benefits: The only plant based source of Vitamin B12 and B6 – one tablespoon contains 133% of RDA Vit B12 and 222% RDA Vit B6. Rich in iron, potassium and magnesium.
• Flavour notes: Roasted caramel with a hint of chocolate and coffee
• Appearance: Golden to dark brown coloured fine powder
• Use: For full health benefits consume raw or heat gently. Can be used in cooking and baking but may lose some of its health benefits.
• Glycemic index (GI) rating: 38 = low
• Calories per TSP: 15
• Carbohydrates per TSP: 4 grams
• Fructose per 100 grams: 3 grams
• Suitable for Diabetics? Probably fine for most diabetics – it is a complex, low fructose sweetener that provides slow release energy (Always consult your doctor before experimenting with new sweeteners!)