How to make sparkling water kefir.
Making Water Kefir
- Fill a large glass jar with filtered water
(do not use water from the tap unless it has been filtered or boiled and completely cooled)
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Add water kefir grains
- Cover with towel, cheesecloth, or coffee filter and rubber band to keep out insects or small children.
- Leave on the counter for 24-48 hours. The longer you leave it, the more sugar ferments out, so if you ware limiting carbs, I recommend 48 hours. Don’t leave longer than this! It can starve the grains!
- After 48 hours, strain the water kefir grains through strainer pouring the liquid into jug or bowl
- Restart the process by dissolving more sugar in water, adding cool water and adding Water Kefir Grains.
- 2nd ferment
To make the Water Kefir delicious and carbonated, mix 2/3 kefir water with 1/3 juice
I’ve found Grape, Pomegranate, Apple and Cherry to work the best.
I don’t recommend citrus for this part, as it makes stringy yeast like things that are not tasty! Once you’ve added the juice, put it in glass bottle with an air tight lid and leave on the counter an additional 1-3 days before drinking or refrigerating.
Once bottled Water kefir can build up a lot of carbon
It is essential that you open the lid regularly to release pressure and prevent the bottles cracking,
When the bottles are fizzy and taste delicious put them in the fridge.
Even when they are in the fridge you should open them once a day!
Only use glass bottles and jars to make kefir, chemicals can leach from plastic bottles!