How to make Apple cider vinegar with mother.
Apart from the benefit of saving yourself money by never purchasing vinegar during your weekly shop ever again, why else would you make your own cider vinegar at home? Well, the health benefits might surprise you.
Vinegar is made by turning the sugars found in apple cider into acetic acid, by a process known as fermentation. Acetic acid can kill harmful bacteria and prevent them from further multiplication, giving it antimicrobial and antioxidant effects. Vinegar has been used throughout history as a disinfectant, natural preservative and as a medicinal treatment. It has been used on ear infections, cleaning wounds, lice, warts and nail fungus.
Surprisingly, there have been studies that have shown that apple cider vinegar has improved insulin sensitivity and has helped to lower blood sugar levels after meals. It is also used in weight loss as it has been shown to help you feel fuller during a meal, aiding with consuming fewer calories.
Our own vinegar mother has been handed down through the generations, and we are pleased to offer it to you, too! This organic, unfiltered cider vinegar mother is a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (known as a SCOBY). This SCOBY gives the liquid its famous murky appearance!
All you need to do is add apple cider to this SCOBY to create your own homemade, fermented vinegar that can be used over and over again. Look at these instructions below to learn how it’s done!
- Place your vinegar mother and starter liquid in a large glass jar (between 1 to 2 litres in size).
- Pour in a good quality cider, ensuring to leave a gap of around 10cm (4") at the top of the jar.
- Cover the jar with a cloth and secure it with an elastic band.
- Leave on the counter or a shelf for approximately 4 weeks to ferment.
- You will notice a film start to form on the surface of the liquid. This is a new mother and should be left in place.
- After 4 weeks, decant 3/4 of the liquid into another bottle. This is your ready to use cider vinegar!
- Refill your original jar with cider and cover it with the cloth as per the instructions above. This will become your next batch of vinegar!
Use cider vinegar to make salad dressing or knockback in a shot with water for a health boost. A great value and healthy addition to any kitchen! Get your Cider Vinegar Mother here.